Makes one dozen frosted cupcakes.
1 cup flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter(1 stick), room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup almond milk
1 cup almond milk
5 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup butter, at room temperature
Almond slivers or slices, for decoration
Berries, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Prepare a cupcake tin with liners.
- Mix together salt, baking powder,almond meal, and flour in a bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy and bright white. Mixture should not be grainy. Beat 6-10 minutes on medium high.
- Using a slightly lower speed, add in eggs, one at a time. Mixing each one in thoroughly before adding the next one.
- Add vanilla extract. Mix to incorporate.
- Add the flour and milk gradually into the mixer, alternating between the two until everything is incorporated. Mix on a medium speed until no lumps are visible.
- Divide batter evenly into cupcake tins. Fill each about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. The tops should be just slightly golden in color.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- In a saucepan or small pot, add almond milk and flour. Whisk together until smooth.
- Turn on medium heat, and whisk continuously for 5-10 minutes, eliminating any clumps. Mixture should thicken up until it resembles a very thick pudding.
- Add vanilla extract, whisk in.
- Remove from heat, and set aside to cool completely.
- In an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add butter and sugar.
- Beat on medium-high speed until light, fluffy, and bright white, 5-10 minutes.
- Add chilled milk pudding mixture in to mixer in 2 batches. Beating thoroughly between.
- Turn mixer to high, and beat until frosting looks light and fluffy. It should resembled whipped cream when done.
- Pipe on to cooled cupcakes.
Almond extract may be substituted for part, or all of the vanilla to make extra almondy almond cupcakes.
My favorite buttercream piping tutorial, to make pretty cupcakes.
*This post contains affiliate links.