At first when I realize I’ve let bananas go bad on the counter, I feel guilty. Then I remember it’s an excellent excuse to bake banana things, like bread, muffins, and cupcakes. Then I feel happy.
Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
Makes one loaf.
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 very ripe bananas
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with a oven rack in the bottom portion of the oven. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or over low heat on the stovetop.
- Whisk together the melted butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until combined.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl. Whisk until completely combined and the mixture is smooth. Whisk the milk and vanilla extract into the batter.
- Peel the bananas and add them to the bowl. Using the end of the whisk or a dinner fork, mash them into the batter until no lumps remains.
- Measure the flour, baking soda, and salt into the bowl. Using a rubber spatula, gently stir until the ingredients are just combined
- Add the chocolate over the batter and gently fold them in.
- Pour the batter into the pan, and use the rubber spatula to scrape all the batter from the bowl. Smooth out the top of the batter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool before slicing.
*This post contains affiliate links.